American Cancer Society - Greater Tampa Unit
12810 USF Magnolia Drive
Tampa, FL 33629
Contact: Sarabeth Smith
(813) 254-3630 or (800) 227-2345
Undergoing treatment for cancer can be physically and emotionally draining -- for patients as well as their loved ones. That’s why the American Cancer Society wants friendly people to help guide them toward its resources.
This community-based health organization seeks volunteers in several capacities:
* Community Outreach Volunteers: These helpers visit local hospitals and doctors’ offices with information about free programs and services for cancer patients and their families. They do not provide any medical advice. Rather, they can answer questions and register patients and families for resources such as “Look Good, Feel Better,” a program to help restore patients’ appearance and self-image during radiation treatments and chemotherapy, and “Hope Lodges,” which are places to stay that also offer emotional support.
These volunteers are asked to be nonsmokers, and have good public-speaking skills, flexible schedules, their own vehicles, and the ability to travel within a 20-mile radius of the office, located on the University of South Florida campus. They are expected to participate in appropriate training sessions, commit to about three hours a week, and report new patient registrations and referral requests.
* Transportation Coordinators: These helpers can work from home but are expected to log in about three hours per week as part of the “Road to Recovery” program, which arranges transportation for certain patients to and from their treatment appointments. Patients in this program either are unable to afford a car or gas, or they are too ill or elderly to drive themselves. Transportation Coordinators must be at least 25 years old and communicate with both the patients and drivers by e-mail and phone.
* Office Volunteers: The organization needs help in the Patient Services Department office on the USF campus, handling copying, filing, and other office duties. Must work a minimum of two hours on chosen days Monday to Friday. For more information about this opportunity only, contact Nancy Nethery via e-mail at email@example.com.
* Leadership opportunities: The organization needs both a Patient Services Program Coordinator and a Prostate Cancer Support-Group Facilitator. The former oversees four signature programs, acts as a liaison between other supervisors and volunteers, arranges training sessions, and handles any concerns or suggestions. The other runs a confidential educational and supportive forum for men with prostate cancer, identifying a monthly topic and guest speaker weeks in advance, distributing brochures and fliers about the program in the community, and offering any necessary updates to attendees at each meeting.
For these other opportunities, contact Sarabeth Smith at
(813) 254-3630 or (800) 227-2345.