Update 3:30 p.m.
The Tampa Police Department says they got call at 2:20 p.m. from someone at Hillsborough High School and responded with "a concern there was an active
Within minutes, 2 officers responded to the school. In all, 53 police officers responded to the school and searched the school, floor by floor. During the search they found lit fireworks on campus. Police believe that the fireworks resulted in the noise that caused concern.
Detectives are currently interviewing students in an attempt to determine who set off the fireworks.
Tampa Police released the following timeline of their response:
- 2:20 p.m. - 911 caller said shots were fired on the 4th floor of Hillsborough High School.
- 2:20 p.m. - School resource officer notified and started searching the school.
- 2:21 p.m. - Two officers arrived on scene and entered the school and began to search the building.
- 2:22 p.m. - Several officers arrived and entered the school.
- 2:24 p.m. - Dozens of officers searching inside the school.
- 2:25 p.m. - Tampa Fire arrived on scene and set up a staging area.
- 2:26 p.m. - Officers found evidence of lit fireworks in the southwest portion of the school.
- 2:30 p.m. - Police bomb K-9 searched the building for any explosives.
The Tampa Police Department says that someone set off fireworks at Hillsborough High School. Police responded to the area and are investigating, according to a statement from the department.
The response by Tampa Police was noticed by more than a few locals.
Residents reported seeing many police vehicles near the school. One Patch user emailed Patch saying,"There appears to be something going on near Hillsborough High School. Helicopters flying around and a sign stating 'area on lock down.'"
Twitter user @Drew_Tucker posted, "Dozens of cops rushing into Hillsborough High right now with guns out and ready. Helicopters everywhere."
Residents who notice anything suspicious can contact the Tampa Police department.
Stay with Patch for updates as they become available.