One of the first things I do every morning is turn on Pandora® so I can rock out and kick my day off on a high note! I have all kinds of different stations that I’ve created Nelly Furtado Radio, Thievery Corporation, Classic Indie, you name it – ya gotta love the ability to have a “mix tape” of songs you love.
Last week I flew to Phoenix and on this flight it was no different except that I tuned into SiriusXM™ instead of Pandora. The great thing about Sirius on Airtran—there is no On/Off Button, there is no shutting down during takeoff and landing. You get to LISTEN TO MUSIC NONSTOP!
As we took off on what was to be a memorable and important trip, I remembered that famous question. The question that I know you’ve been asked before: “If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring only–CD what would it be?” I always struggled with that—one is never enough!
In Today’s digital age times are a little bit different. We wouldn’t bring a compact disc. We wouldn’t have just one choice.
Music is a part of EVERYTHING that I do and my soundtrack ranges greatly from day to day. Today I take you on a voyage. Flight 540 ATL to PHX, jamming out to SiriusXM, here’s
what was on my soundtrack for the day and it was a good one!
Today’s In Flight Soundtrack-
- Saturday In The Park- Chicago: A classic! Every time I hear it I belt out the lyrics. I wasn’t even born yet when this song first came out…and almost 40years later it’s still hot! (I said ALMOST 40 years!)
- Move Out-by YAZ: YAZ is one of the best bands of all times. I remember listening to them on cassette!
- Gloria-by U2: going way back to a classic U2 song.
- Deacon Blues-by Steely Dan: Anyone that knows me knows that Steely Dan & I go hand in hand. One must always have their Steely Dan fix.
Shortly into our flight we are over Alabama when the Captain comes over the p.a. and points out that we’re flying over Birmingham, AL. I look out the window to see Mother Nature’s destruction so I say a little prayer for the people of Alabama whose lives have been turned upside down. As I close my eyes, then next song is:
- What Is Love?-by Howard Jones: A great love song.
- Never Going Back Again-by Fleetwood Mac: Another must have.
If you haven’t figured it out yet today’s soundtrack is a compilation of classic rock to alternative rock (Alt Nation is a great channel) I like all kinds of music, so I am surfing channels 26-38 on SiriusXM.
- White Sun-the Doobie Brothers
- Love the One You’re With-by Stephen Stills: This song goes out to my friend, Amy. Once upon a time, waaaay back in high school, this song had real meaning. Oh the boys of Parkway West High School, in St. Louis—they sure had a way with our hearts!
- Beautiful Day-by Donavan Frankenreiter: This is simply a great freakin’ song!
- Drive My Car-the Beatles. Beep, beep’m, beep, beep yeah!
- I Wanna Be Sedated-the Ramones. A classic.
- Smoke Two Joints-Sublime. What can I say – one of the best bands ever.
- Lotus Flower-by Radiohead. Radiohead rocks.
- I Will Possess Your Heart-by Death Cab for Cuties. This song reminds me of Janes Addiction. It jams.
- Must Be The One-She Wants Revenge rocks!
- Kids-by Mgmt. I listen to this song every morning. Something about it just gets me moving.
- Rock Lobster-by the B-52s: Truly, truly, one of the all time best.
- Rain-by the Cult. I always have to turn this one up on full blast!
- Man In A Suitcase-the Police. The Police are still on top and rock.
- Bring On The Dancing Horses-Echo & The Bunnymen. This one takes me back to freshman year of high school. (long, long ago)
- Girls On Film-Duran Duran. –Can you say slumber parties and making dance videos?
As we keep with the 90s rewind how about a little-
- Peak A Boo-by Siouxsie & the Banshees? Absolutely awesome.
- Rock the Casbah-the Clash
- Never Let Me Down Again-Depeche Mode. I saw these guys at the Ice Palace some years ago. One of the best shows ever.
- Here Comes the Rain-the Eurythmics. Annie Lenox kicks butt.
- Tomorrow People-by Ziggy Marley. 20years ago I was lucky enough to meet Ziggy
Marley in person while on a road trip to Crystal Lake, IL to visit a boy. A boy that is still very special to me and he knows who he is.
- Hey Man Nice Shot-by Filter. I saw these guys at the Rubb many years ago. What a show and what a venue.
As the wheels come down and we hit the runway in Phoenix it’s time for me to turn off the music. At least for now…
Music is memories. Music is moods. Music is happiness and sadness. Music motivates. And sometimes it’s the only thing we’ve got.
So I want to know What’s on Your Soundtrack for Life?