The Tampa Police Department launched a gun buyback program to stop violence in the community.
Residents are encouraged to turn in their guns from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Seminole Heights Baptist Church, 801 E. Hillsborough Ave.
Folks will remain anonymous and will receive $50 per each firearm. No questions will be asked.
Before You Go:
- When dropping off a gun, make sure it is unloaded and in a plastic bag inside the trunk of your car. An officer will remove the gun from the car for you.
- If you are not comfortable handling your firearm, an officer will come out and safely take the gun out of your possession. To schedule a gun pick up, visit www.tampagov.net/appl_customer_service_center/form.asp?strServiceID=67 or call (813) 276-3785.
Gun Safety Tips from TPD:
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Alway keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Never handle a gun you are not familiar with.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon.
For more information, visit tampagov.net/police.