Meals on Wheels Needs Volunteers
The nonprofit located in Wellswood is seeking volunteers for the summer.
Meals on Wheels of Tampa, a nonprofit organization located on Hillsborough Avenue on the west bank of the river, is seeking volunteers for the summer season.
Each weekday, about 60 volunteers deliver over 600 hot meals to the homebound and seniors who have difficulty shopping for or preparing a meal.
Meals are delivered five days a week throughout Tampa. Each volunteer checks in with the recipients and delivers to an average of 10 homes per day. Weekend meals are delivered frozen on Fridays.
“It’s a great way to give back to the community and help those in need,” said Andrea Brogen, director of community relations at Meals on Wheels of Tampa.
There are currently 62 routes and 12 designated pick up sites throughout the city. Each route is approximately 8 miles long. Driving a route takes volunteers about an hour to complete, and folks can choose which days (Monday through Friday) and how often (once a week to once a month) to drive based on availability.
The homebound and seniors pay $4.75 for each meal.
“However, no one is turned away,” said Brogen, as the organization works with each person to develop an affordable plan to receive the meals that are prepared and packed each morning in the organization's commercial kitchen.
Meals on Wheals held its annual hurricane drive on Saturday, May 19. In partnership with the Junior League of Tampa, the organization delivered five shelf stable meals and a gallon of water to each of the recipients.
Meals on Wheals has recently expanded its program to East Tampa. Next year, it will also serve the New Tampa community, according to Brogen.
Volunteers are students, retirees, stay-home moms, and anybody who wants to help, has a valid driver license and is over 18.
Meals on Wheels gives 10 reasons to volunteer:
- Meals on Wheels of Tampa empowers homebound and seniors to remain living independently.
- The organization provides hot meals 365 days a year.
- The meals consist of a well balanced diet to keep individuals healthy.
- The food is prepared fresh in the nonprofit commercial kitchen.
- Meals on Wheels’ services are available to those unable to shop for or prepare food.
- The organization relies on volunteers to deliver 62 routes.
- Meals on Wheels provides peace of mind to the families who live far away from loved ones.
- It serves people of all economic backgrounds.
- Meals on Wheels is 100 percent community funded with 83 cents of every dollar donated going directly into programming.
- Senior hunger and isolation is a real part of our community.
To get involved, fill out an application on the organization's website at mowtampa.org.