Crime Blotter: Rim Snatcher Caught, Armed Robbers Sought
A man stealing car rims was caught after a pursuit, and three men, one brandishing a revolver, robbed a man in Evelyn City, Tampa Police report.
- The shed of a house on the 1500 block of East Sligh Avenue was pried open, and three lawnmowers, three trimmers, and a leaf blower were stolen from inside. Police say there was a delay in reporting the crime because the victim assumed the items would be returned. A witness reported seeing three men loading unspecified property into a pickup truck, according to investigators. Police also say the witness claimed to have reported the incident to authorities, but dispatchers have no record of his call.
- Six bicycles and 10 lawnmowers were stolen from a residence on the 1300 block of East Bird Street after a rear window was smashed. According to investigators, a neighbor claimed to witness eight to 10 young men doing this and called it in, but police say dispatchers have no record of his call. Among the stolen bikes is a Schwinn silver, three-wheel bike with red fender, white basket and seat completely wrapped in duct tape. A beach cruiser bike with 26-inch wheels may also be among the stolen items. Investigators recovered fingerprints and blood at the scene.
- Someone forced their way through a rear window on the 6900 block of North Highland Avenue, snatched a jewelry box, and fled through the front door after the house alarm went off. A partial fingerprint was recovered at the scene, according to police.
- A man was robbed at gunpoint at Hilton Place and East Crenshaw Street in the Evelyn City section of Old Seminole Heights. According to police, the victim stated he was walking when approached by three suspects. One of them pointed a dark colored revolver at him and told him to throw the contents of his pockets on the ground. The victim complied, tossing down Newport 100s cigarettes, a black Bic lighter, and an LED flashlight. The gunman then told the victim to leave. The victim then started to walk home towards East Park Circle. Investigators say the victim described the gunman as a dark-skinned Hispanic male, 5-foot-9, medium build, wearing a black hoodie with white stripes, baseball shorts, baseball shoes and a red bandanna over his face. A second suspect was described as a medium build male wearing dark-colored jeans.
- A window was broken on the 300 block of East Hanna Avenue, and someone stole $2,150 in property, including video game systems, flat screen TV, laptop computer, and jewelry.
- Police arrested and charged Aubrey Alvincent Pierce with burglary and grand theft after he was observed by a witness attempting to steal a set of rims off a car at Northgate Auto Repair. According to police, when an officer arrived on scene, Pierce fled. Other officers and K-9 officers were called in to the pursuit, and Pierce was apprehended while hiding in an unlocked vehicle nearby on the 8400 block of North Lynn Avenue. Pierce, 27, of 2927 Ybor St., was also charged with possession of burglary tools and obstructing or opposing an officer without violence. He was released from jail on $6,500 bond.